Club Night Results 15th Oct

West City Darts Results 15 Oct 2020
Another impressive night down at the Club, so read on... 

Sorry to all the blog's readers (2), bit of a late post due to my laptop playing up. Not a huge turnout this week for club night, following on from the big entry list for Saturday's West City Auckland Open. Could possibly be because some people are only allowed out once a week? Who knows...

The group games were seeded this week with the arguably best 6 in Group 1. Consequently some big players were knocked out early, namely Mike Day, Steve Hanley and Tony Lee. Some long faces there then.

And the impressive parts?

The "other" West City Mike Day (yes we have two for those that don't know!), Mike 'F' Day cruised from Group 3 right into the Final. MFD is often my practice partner but he hasn't been playing lately or practicing for that matter. He turned up at the club last week to play but did not qualify for the KO rounds. A week later and he is back again with no practice in-between.

Mike can be a prolific T20 hitter when he is in full flow, but to make the Final with little to no game or practice time... well that's impressive.

Before the games kicked off I was practicing with Mike and decided to have a throw with his darts to see if they had any 'magic'. For me they didn't. First throw and two of the three fell out of the board and broke one of his stems. Mike had to go to his 'B' stems, clearly upset. I know he was because he didn't stop banging on about it all night.
 
What he didn't stop was winning. Little wonder his nickname is "The Punisher".

In the Final he met Patrick Shannon. Patrick blasted his way through from Group 1. Patrick has only really started taking his darts relatively seriously in the last 1-2 years. I've been playing for over 20 years and can't reach the standard that PS is attaining on such a small total of game time. You guessed it... that's impressive.

At the start of this year I had a few battles with Patrick "Swayze" Shannon and felt I could hold my own. But he has now zoomed ahead and that little rivalry has been put to bed before I embarrassed myself. And to further distance myself from those heady days of the early 2020 PS is now known as Patrick "The Big Show" Shannon. On this blog he is anyway.

In the Final the "Big Show" was on fire with a 3-0 demolition of the Mike F "The Punisher" Day (phew... nearly missed off the 'r' at the end of Punisher. Then it would have read Mike F "The PunisheD" ay". Probably describes the final better, but I don't need to give MFD more to bang on about as well as his broken stem).

Also big shout out to young Tiayana McLeod fpr making it through to the KO Rounds. Well Done!

And me? Didn't qualfy for the KOs. I've lost my mojo in the last week or so. If you find it, buy it a drink and send it back to me ASAP. I need it for next week's club night. See you there !   

KO Rounds

1st KO Round
Mike F Day bt Charlotte Holloway
Mike O'Grady bt Paul Riceman
Loretta Hunter bt Tiayana McLeod
Byres: Frank Riddell, Patrick Shannon, Geoff Koster, Ken Moir

Last 8
Muike F day by Frank Riddell
Tony Sturm bt Geoff Koster
Ken Moir bt Mike O'Grady
Patrick Shannon bt Loretta hunter

Semi Finals
Mike F Day bt Tory Sturm
Patrick Shannon bt Ken Moir

FINAL
Patrick Shannon bt Mike F Day

180s
Ken Moir 3, Geoff Koster 2, Patrick Shannon 2, Frank Riddell 2, Steve Hanley 1,Mike O'Grady 1.

100+ Finishes
Geoff Koster 146, Mike F Day 120


Comments