Club Night Diary 23 July 2020

West City Darts Club Night 23 July 2020
Good turn out on Thursday, best since lockdown and a buzz that goes with a larger playing contingent. Game On !

Its a bit freaky how often, in the past few weeks, I have been drawn in the same group as the person that has become my new arch enemy, Patrick "Swayze" Shannon.

And close up behind on that score is Big Dave Natapu.


So lets boogaloo again... Dirty Dancing Darts IV - "Rocky" v "Swayze". The count is 3-0 so far to "Swayze". Could I break the clinch he had me in?

First off I dispatched Mike "MOG" O'Grady 2-0. "MOG" is still a tuff game so I was pleased.

Okay "Swayze".   Lets Tango !

First game was a quick Foxtrot and I was taking the lead down to a double (hey two guys dancing, somebody has to take the lead😳). Whoa, Patrick wasn't happy with that and once we got down to those doubles all it took was miss-step from me and PS had taken the lead. 1-0.

Next dance.

This time a Waltz. I had "Swayze" in a spin, I was first to a double again. Damn. He switched dance steps on me. Yep he passed by my double effort to Paso Doble out the game (if all this isn't making sense watch some re-runs of 'Dancing with the Stars' with the wife and then read again !).

0-2. I'd lost again. I'm now 4-0 down on results. Let's not dwell. Not good for the mindset (or so my shrink tells me).

Next was Big Dave. Scrappy game and BDN came out feeling bigger and taller (is that possible?) 2-0.

West City Darts Incredibles
Jeeez. Forget Dirty Dancing these two are seeming like the Incredibles, well to me at least.

A 2-0 loss to Tony "The Perfect" Sturm in my last game and I was confined to the Consolation Round.

Hard to take !

So today I've had a bit of homework from my shrink (an urgent session) on 'the psychology of winning mentalities' and they do say that to be successful you need to set some goals and write them down.

Here we go...
  • I will beat Big Dave Natapu next time we meet
  • I will beat Patrick 'Swayze" Shannon next time we meet
Its probably only fair that I set some goals for Dave and Patrick as well.

Here we go...
  • Dave - I will lose to Rocky next time we meet (reeespect to my elders, man)
  • Patrick - I will lose to Rocky next time we meet (and buy him a drink as well)
So the scene is all set for Dirty Dancing V with "Swayze" and Incredibles II with Big Dave.

See you all next week. Thursday 7pm. Oh Damn, I've double booked my self, seeing the psychologist then. Ah well. See you... no wait ! There is more? There were some other games on? Its not all about me?

Okay. Here we go...

On deck this week from the Far North Club was Jo Steed, currently ranked No. 5 in the NZDC Women's List and Brian Steed currently ranked No. 21= in the NZDC Men's List. And we can't overlook the West City Club President, and pretty much ever present on club nights, Mike Day, ranked No. 5 in the NZDC Men's.

Those rankings do not tell lies. Jo qualified for the KO rounds but lost out to the mercurial Tony Lee. Tony then progressed to the Semis but came up against Mike Day. MD won out to set up the Final with Brian. An in form Brian took the final, also taking out the most 180s (x 3) for the night, to make the appearance at West City well worthwhile. Well done guys !

Think we are all finished up for the week now. See you next !


KO Rounds - Last 16

West City Darts Results  23 July 2020

180s and High Finishes


Comments