Saturday, March 8, 2014

This blog...

This blog for West City Darts was originally started by Peter Page after Paul Williams who had been running a West City website moved on (I believe this is correct). At the moment I am the main contributor along with Mike Day who occasionally posts. We do it because we love darts and West City, being our club, is the main benefactor of the blog posts.

It is time consuming and does take a back seat for me sometimes if I have other things that I am busy with, hence some weeks you won't see any posts for several days. I also struggle for things to put on at times and resort to PDC or BDO snippets rather than local stuff. I am a very casual player at the moment confined to just club nights at West City in the main and this means that I don't have the "local news" reach that Peter had. Peter did a great job and since he stopped posting the readership has declined. Peter knows a lot of darts people nationally and gets all around the country playing darts or traveling to support Peggy Wikaira. Peter is also very well read (as in books etc) and consequently came up with some interesting articles based around darts at times. I know a lot of darts people used to visit the blog two, three, four, five times a week such was its popularity.

So why am I writing this post? Well a bit of feedback I had the other week was that the blog isn't visited as much these days by people outside of West City because it used to be a very good source for news of upcoming events and now it isn't, its all about just West City. With West City also now having a Facebook presence sometimes the West City news is duplicated. At times I do consider whether I should carry on especially as I don't have the sources for news other than West City, I don't always have the time during the week (and sometimes the inclination as my job entails sitting behind two PC screens all day), more people seem to prefer Facebook these days, the blog readership seems a bit sparse at times and well... is it worth the effort?

I've put a poll up on the right hand column to see just how much people think of the blog and the content... have a vote and I'll watch the results roll in (or will that be trickle in?)

7 comments:

  1. I would like to say that I know myself, it can be a thankless task at times...The club does get the benefit of putting its name along with others on the web scene for all to see.
    I think if people were to expect for more than a person can give (hey its all voluntary)
    Then one would have to ask for support from others in contributions to the content and also admin in placing it on the blog. If this was not forthcoming then I believe it would be difficult to carry on and produce to what people have as expectations.
    I'm sure we can all understand coming home from work and preparing for a game night, for web hosts its doing a lot of admin to keep people informed. Peter was doing a fantastic job for good while and eventually it does take it toll.I think this is a great site and you should be commended for it and perhaps rewarded for your time and input by the club. I would have no hesitation in doing such. You have my total admiration and I can say on behalf of ex-pat kiwis we love to read the articles and keep up to date with the club news etc...
    I for one would be willing to add content from here (if you can stand aussie news) sorry Mick.. Mike will put you right on that one...
    Cheers and beers
    Paul Williams

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Appreciate your comments and sentiments Paul. The bottom line is if there are only 10-20 regular visitors to the site, it is a lot of effort for not much return. If I scaled back my contributions that does not mean the site will die as West City Darts is bigger than just my input so the poll "If the blog closed..." is very hypothetical really. I do like putting stuff on the site as well as trying to make it look good so there is a bit of self satisfaction there, but the less visitors there are the less of an inclination I have. Its like anything else really, if the customers aren't turning up why would you keep opening the stall... even if the small number of customers you have are very enthusiastic, which I know you and some others are. Cheers Rocky

      Delete
  2. I agree totally with Paul, but saying it is "duplicated" shouldn't stop you from writing. Ngauru has done a fantastic job in getting the followers on facebook, why should that stop you? To both Mike Day and Mike Radford keep up the good work with the website, I have heard nothing negative to the West City website, it has all been positive !! Doesn't that count for something?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the support Anonymous and appreciate the fact that you took time to post the comment. Not trying to take anything away from Ngauru at all. Nga has done a great job so far as Secretary of the club and reviving the West City Facebook page is an initiative she should be proud of, as we all know there are a lot of Facebook users from every generation who would have welcomed that page being updated. My point there was just that it seems a bit of a waste to put the same info on the website and Facebook. Maybe the two sites should be focused on two different kinds of content. I am sure if people are getting all the info they need from the Facebook site then why would you then go to the the West city website? As in the my reply to Paul above its all about effort and return. If there were 100+ regular visitors to the site then the effort would probably be worth it as we would be providing a worthwhile voluntary service to interested parties, but to only 10-20 regular visitors, not so sure...

      Delete
  3. im always on this site, keep it going. its good to c how the Auckland darts scene is going........

    beastie...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Beastie, thanks for the support all the way from Christchurch, I believe?

      Delete
  4. Its a website I like to visit regularly to see what's happening in Auckland darts. Tournaments happening up that way as well as darting interest stories.Hope to see it continue. CC.

    ReplyDelete