Thursday, May 30, 2013

Lou and the 12 dart 701

Readers of this blog will have read details of Lou Tai's feat in hitting the 12 dart 701 leg. I wondered if it was a world first and so decided to contact Dr Darts Patrick Chaplin to see if he knew whether it had been done before. His e-mail replay is below;

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your e-mail.

I’ll always find time to reply to anyone as long as it’s about darts!

Your enquiry has also come to me via Warren Ackary (Wazza’s World of Darts) who linked me to the blog.

The good news for Lou is that I cannot find another perfect 701 recorded in my archive (either in official or unofficial competition) but that doesn’t mean it hasn’t been done before. It means simply that I don’t have (or can’t find) a record of it. Back issues of Darts World  might reveal something but as that’s been going now since 1972 (and 487 issues)…

I agree with you that it is a remarkable achievement and please congratulate Lou on my behalf.

You’ve already put Lou’s achievement on your blog but I can help by mentioning his perfect 701 in the next issue of my Dr. Darts’ Newsletter and see what response I receive from my readers. Would that be OK? If so, please send me a photo of Lou and I’ll publish the piece in either the June or July issue.

If you could let me know where Lou lives (just the town or village) how old he is (if that’s OK with Lou!) and what he does for a living that would be great. Greater still would be an exclusive quote from Lou telling my readers how he felt when he hit that perfect game.

Thanks again for your e-mail.

I look forward to hearing from you again soon.

Best wishes,

Patrick

Dr. Patrick Chaplin
Author and Darts Historian

MY LATEST BOOK 180! FASCINATING DARTS FACTS IS AVAILABLE NOW FROM Amazon.com AND DIRECT FROM MY PUBLISHER AT www.thehistorypress.co.uk.

Below is part of the reply I sent him;He was playing at the Whakatane Memorial Hall in Short Street, Whakatane on Sunday 19th May 3013 in a New Zealand Dart Council  Region 4 Bay of Plenty playoff to select a team for the New Zealand Dart Council darts championships to be held in Nelson in August. It would be the New Zealand equivalent of a play off for selection for a county team in England. There were 16 players playing a round robin of one leg of 701 straight start to select a team of ten.

Lou was playing Jed Campbell of Rotorua when he with the first three darts he hit 180. He thought to himself okay that is good, a 180,  let’s try and do it again. He hit the second one and thought try and repeat for the third. He hit the third one.  Lou let out a yell. Lou is not a demonstrative player. He is quite a humble person and by no means loud. He told me that was the first time he ever yelled out at the oche at a darts match and he has been playing for over 20 or more years. By this stage all the other games had stopped and all the players, chalkers, officials and spectators had gathered near Lou’s board to watch him try and finish on 161. He threw the first dart and hit his tenth triple 20 in a row. He did not hesitate at the triple 17 and went straight for it as it felt good. It went in. He stopped and walked back from the oche. He walked up to the board and threw for the bull. It went straight in the middle and for the second time in Lou’s dart career he let out a yell on the oche.

Lou hit one other 180 that day and won 14 out of 15 games to be the top qualifier for the team.

He told me that at the next club night at the Waihi RSA a speech was made by officials praising him for his feat and he was  shouted many beers by the other players. He was bought back to earth pretty quickly though when he started playing that night. The form was not quite there and he hit quite a few 26’s he said.

Hope that is helpful. Lou was proud to do it and believes other players will have done it somewhere at sometime but he is happy to be one of those few who have.

If Pattrick gets back in touch I will publish the names of any others who have managed it. It would be a very small club indeed and nice to see a Kiwi in it.






1 comment:

  1. Nice to see everyone getting behind this achievement , sent the news to Patrick via Warren as he says.Would be great for Lou to get recognition for this great achievement.
    John Kelly

    ReplyDelete