Monday, June 18, 2012

Early Report NZ Masters

I have not got the full results from the NZ Masters but I see they are not on the NZ Dart Council site yet. What I do know is that Corinne Hammond of Australia won the Ladies singles. When I left for the airport Wayne Carey and Greg Moss were slogging it out in the men's final best of 11 and Greg was a little ahead. The trip to the airport was a bit hairy. Anna Neho, Wellington player, kindly took us in her 7 seat people mover. We managed to fit 9 people in and luggage. The seating for the Canterbury players was fairly tight which caused a few laughs. We got there safely though thanks to Anna.

The picture below shows Auckland player Peggy Wikaira gifting leading Japanese player Rachel Mariko Maitland an Auckland shirt. Even in Japan they appreciate a Region 2 shirt. Rachel mainly plays soft tip darts in Japan.

It was very cold down there. The coldest I have experienced in trips to Wellington. It felt like there was snow in the air. The hall warmed up well enough and the event was well organised. There was about 77 men and 39 ladies. There was a group of players from Japan and another from Australia. Two players come from Dunedin, 4  from Christchurch, 5 from Auckland, a few from Nelson and a lot from lower North Island.The darts overall were to quite a high standard especially in the latter rounds of the men's. Some of the legs were as good as any English professional might throw.

I took some video of the tournament but have had trouble loading it on to you tube. I did get some of it on there showing the card part of the men's singles. Look on You Tube under title NZ Masters Darts 2012  for a look. I hope to improve my video skills and put more on in the near future.

0 comments:

Post a Comment