Sunday, April 8, 2012

Finishing on 62

Recently I was playing a league match in the Wednesday night Auckland Chartered Club league for Onehunga Working Men's club against the Manuwera Cosmopolitan Club when I played Barry Kapa in a singles match. Barry I must say is a very good dart player and one of the better players in the Auckland Area. A few years ago when he was in better form he was runner up to Warren French in the Clubs NZ National singles. Some say he should have won he was playing that well.
In my game against Barry he went up to throw with 62 left. I expected him to try for triple 10 and double 16. This is what most players would go for. He threw at triple 18 and hit it. I thought what is he doing. He had 8 left and hit double 4 next dart. I thought who goes that way. That is the first time I have seen anyone go that way. If it is common in other places it is not common around here. I asked him why that way. It made sense when he explained that a single 18 left 44 which meant he could drop just below and hit a single 4 for double tops. Even if he missed and hit a single 18 it left double 13. First dart in triple 4 scoring 12 left 50 which could be 18 and double 16. The crux of it was most of the likely shots if you hit or missed were in that corner of the board and so handy to adjust and line up the shot. Barry is left handed and like most left hand players I know seems to favour doubles on the right hand side of the board. I do have a vague memory of someone telling me this way of going out before but this is first time I have seen anyone go for it or get it. Its a nice option from triple 10 and double 16 or triple 14 and double 10.
In the photo Barry has a shirt on with his dart nickname Mr Whippy. That name was not of his choosing. He told me that he has a ring tone on his mobile phone that sounds the same as the music from a Mr Whippy ice cream truck. One day the truck came down his street singing this music and he happened to be with some friends. Not realising it was the truck and not his phone he picked up his phone and tried to answer it. He was then christened Mr Whippy by his friends. Well I think they were his friends.

1 comment:

  1. YES IT A TRUE STORY THATS HOW I GOT THE NAME MR WHIPPY. THE WAS WHEN MY SO CALLED FRIENDS TEASE ME I TRIED TO PRETEND SOMEONE WAS ON THE PHONE BUT NO THERE WASNT .SO I HAD NO COMEBACK SO THATS MY NAME THANKS PETER ANOTHER SO CALLED FRIEND WHO I TOLD THE STORY TO WHO I THOUGHT WOULDNT TELL ANYONE ELSE THX MATE

    ReplyDelete